This easy roasted whole butternut squash will come out beautifully tender with delicious browned edges devoid of any intricate prep perform.
86 Calories15g CARBS4g Excess fat1g PROTEIN
Roasted Whole Butternut Squash Recipe
If you are wanting for an quick way to make butternut squash, this total roasted squash is the recipe for you! No peeling, no challenging chopping, just 5 minutes of prep function and it is completely ready for the oven.
It will come out caramelized on the edges and beautifully tender. Provide it as a facet dish correct out of the oven with a delightful butter and brown sugar glaze. Or use the squash flesh for baked items, oatmeal, pasta sauce, and extra.
Belief me, when you make butternut squash this way, there is no turning again. It is so a great deal greater than boiling the squash or applying frozen mashed butternut squash.
Why We Really like Total Roasted Butternut Squash
- Flexible: Provide it basic as a aspect dish, mash it, make soup, things it, or make pasta sauce
- Uncomplicated: No peeling, no chopping, only 3 components essential
- Cozy tumble flavors: Roasted squash is the excellent tumble aspect dish for weeknights and holiday dinners
Looking for a lot more techniques to take pleasure in butternut squash? Try this Roasted Squash Salad, Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash, or amazing Butternut Squash Tacos.
Elements and Uncomplicated Swaps
- Butternut squash: Glance for butternut squash that is heavy for its dimensions. It should really be light orange-beige in coloration without the need of any soft places. It’s usual for it to have some imperfections or scratches. This recipe and glaze would also operate for acorn squash, delicata squash, or honey nut squash. Just adjust the baking time.
- Olive oil: In order to get brown and caramelized, the squash demands to be coated with some kind of fats. Olive oil is the most frequent but you could also use melted butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, or another oil of your alternative.
- Salt and pepper: To carry out the natural flavors of the squash, kosher or sea salt is a have to. Black pepper is a good contrast to the sweetness of the butternut squash.
- Optional glaze: For holiday meals, we generally make a sweeter roasted squash with a glaze manufactured of butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Flip the squash above for the duration of the past 10 minutes of cooking and add the glaze.
- Roasting time: Hold in brain that roasting time can range dependent on the size of the squash. Get started checking the squash at the 45-minute mark but know that large squash can consider all around 75 minutes.
- Wrapping in foil: Some people today wrap the squash halves in foil when roasting. This will actually steam the squash. Only wrap the butternut squash in foil if you do not want any browning or caramelization. Even if I am making use of the squash in soup or mashed, I continue to like the added taste it gets from roasting it on a baking sheet.
- Preserve the seeds: Butternut squash seeds can be roasted just like pumpkin seeds. Wash and dry the seeds. Toss with oil and seasoning. Then roast at 350 levels for 10-13 minutes. Use it for treats, salad toppers, or with oatmeal.
Feel of this recipe as a blueprint for generating perfectly roasted butternut squash halves. Then you can season it any way you like. Below are some favorites:
- Herbs: Refreshing herbs pair genuinely well with butternut squash. Increase clean parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, or oregano.
- Spices and seasoning: The sweet flavor of the squash functions genuinely properly with smoky and earthy spices like cumin, curry powder, coriander, cinnamon, smoked paprika, or chili powder. It also performs with warm spices like cinnamon, floor ginger, and allspice.
- Garnishes: When I am serving this for holiday seasons, I appreciate to get inventive by incorporating garnishes together with toasted pumpkin seeds, creamy goat cheese, pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, or candied pecans.
- Glaze: Complete the squash with a glaze utilizing maple syrup or honey, butter, and spices. Incorporate balsamic vinegar for some acidity to balance the sweetness.
How to Slice Butternut Squash
The most difficult part of this recipe is reducing the squash in fifty percent, which essentially isn’t that really hard with the proper technique.
- Trim the stem: Start off by trimming the stem facet (smaller close) by keeping the squash and trimming about ½ inch off the leading of the squash. You can also trim the base conclude, but it isn’t necessary.
- Cut the squash in half: Minimize the squash in 50 % vertically using a sharp knife. You will have to apply some pressure and often making use of a rocking movement can support. Go slowly and implement force as you slice.
- Scoop out the seeds: Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and squash bits hooked up to the seeds. Discard them or cleanse them and preserve them for roasting.
How to Provide Whole Roasted Butternut Squash
There are so many techniques to serve and use whole roasted squash.
- As a facet dish: This squash, in particular with the glaze, is a perfect aspect dish on all its have. We provide it at pretty much each and every holiday break and it is generally a strike.
- Things the squash halves: Every time I make roasted squash, I often cook dinner some further halves to things for an additional meal. Usually I just add a basic blend of cooked brown rice, floor turkey sausage, and spinach. It’s filling and delectable.
- Make soup: When it arrives to fall soups, this slow cooker butternut squash soup is a beloved. Use your roasted butternut squash soup to lower the cooking time down to considerably less than just one hour.
- Make pasta sauce: Scoop out the roasted squash and mix it with milk or product, Parmesan cheese, and heaps of black pepper for a prosperous and creamy pasta sauce. For a lighter alternative, use vegetable broth or the pasta cooking liquid to slender the squash into a sauce.
- Use it for desserts and baking: Use the roasted squash in place of “pumpkin” in any of your favorite drop desserts and baked products together with pies, breads, muffins, brownies, and cakes. It is also scrumptious in oatmeal as an alternative of pumpkin.
Key Dish Concepts
This roasted squash is terrific for a particular celebration dinner and also uncomplicated more than enough to make for a weeknight household meal. Below are some major dishes that work actually very well with butternut squash.
Make Ahead and Storage
This dish is excellent for prepping in advance. The butternut squash can be roasted up to 3 days in progress and saved in the fridge at the time it has cooled. You can also lower and prep the squash up to 3 days in progress.
Reheat the squash in a baking dish in the oven. Established the temperature to 350 levels and bake for 10-15 minutes until heated by.
If you are storing the flesh of the squash, it will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Retain it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Regularly Questioned Inquiries
Listed here are the most frequent questions about roasting a entire butternut squash in the oven.
When you are roasting entire butternut squash, there is no will need to peel the squash very first. When the squash is cooked, it quickly separates from the pores and skin.
If you are roasting cubed butternut squash, it is very best to peel it 1st.
If you are roasting a whole squash for baking or generating butternut squash puree, you can roast it without the need of slicing it in half. Commence by piercing the squash all about with a knife or fork. This is tremendous critical due to the fact the steam demands to escape.
Then wrap the squash in foil and bake it at 425 levels for 60-80 minutes until eventually it is tender when you press on it. Permit it cool and then very carefully slice it in half and eliminate the seeds.